Partners miss a tiny detail that uncovers them before striking a man, shooting him in the head to finish him then setting the body on fire to cover the evidence

A man and his girlfriend were on the run for some time before the authorities were able to locate and arrest them in connection to the death of a man whose body was set on fire so they could cover the evidence. However, they missed a tiny detail along the way.

According to the police, 42-year-old Robert and his girlfriend Miranda, 24, are facing decades in prison for the death of William H., 43, with whom they reportedly had a problem before the incident took place. Each of them is facing several charges for murdering the victim and alleged subsequent efforts to cover up his violent death. The incident happened early in July, but the couple was arrested just recently after authorities officially issued the arrest warrant in late August.

On July 8, during the early morning hours, someone noticed a “suspicious fire” in the woods near Ohio’s state capital and called the authorities. Shortly after their arrival, police found William’s burning body at the location of the fire. The investigation has shown that just two days before that, the suspects had an argument with the victim over a property that William claimed was stolen from him.

The several-week-long investigation has shown that Robert and Miranda are responsible for the death of William. Even though the suspects’ plan seemed “bulletproof”, they missed a tiny detail—a surveillance camera that caught them while they were walking in the woods along with William. A video of that camera, later obtained by police, clearly shows both the victim and the suspects going into the woods before someone called 911 and reported the fire.

It turned out that the suspects initially struck the victim with an unknown object but then shot him at least once in the head so they could make sure he was dead. Then they decided to set the body on fire in the woods in an effort to destroy all the evidence that would link them to the victim. But the camera along the way caught everything, and the police later used the footage to identify them. The suspects were on the run for three weeks since the arrest warrant was issued until police located and arrested them.

According to the U.S. Marshals, both defendants were taken to the Franklin County Jail after their arrest, “where they will remain pending their initial appearances in court.”

Miranda was held in jail on a $2.5 million bond as she was scheduled for a court appearance in September. The other suspect was also held in jail, but no additional information was given about his case.

Alfred Duncan

Alfred Duncan is a senior editor at The South Florida Daily, where he oversees our coverage of politics, misinformation, health and economics. Alfred is a former reporter and editor for BuzzFeed News, National Geographic and USA Today.

Related Articles

Back to top button